Saturday, November 7, 2009

Philly

Your Rachelized Tour of Philadelphia

November 7, 2009 (with Adam, Merry, Myles, Sarah and Teresa)

I had the chance to go to Philly with some friends in November. We had all sorts of fun running around for a day. It was great! I hadn’t been there since my “8th Grade Trip” (as we Deltans like to call it). It was interesting to think about what I remembered and what different things stood out to me then and now.

The first place we visited was the Liberty Bell.

It’s housed in a museum dedicated solely to explaining the significance of the bell. The bell itself is surrounded by window almost three quarters of the way around, so you can also see it from the outside; however, if you want to see the infamous crack, you have to go inside. =)

We also went to Independence Hall, which is where the Declaration of Independence was signed. We didn’t make it there in time to get tickets inside, but it is one of the things I remembered from the summer of ’98. I remember thinking it was such an awesome place, and recognizing that I could feel the spirit there.

We went to the Old City Hall, where the U.S. Supreme Court met between 1791 and 1800. It was pretty nifty. I know the first pic is interesting, but I like it anyway. Make sure to read the sign in the last one. Kinda pointless... =)





We went to the Philosophical Hall, where there was a display of Darwin’s books. We tried to be intellectual, but mostly I think we were just a nuisance!





This is a pretty cool statue called "The Signer". =)


There is a lot of Ben Franklin history in Philly. We went to the Ben Franklin Underground Museum (named so because it is all underground… trippy!). My favorite part of that museum (and the main reason we went there) was because they had a demonstration of the armonica, which is a pretty cool instrument good ol’ Ben invented back in the day when playing water glasses was a key form of entertainment. These days you hear this instrument in the Harry Potter soundtrack.

This museum also wins the award for the most pointless exhibit. We never really figured out what it was all about, and most of it didn’t work…



This is a picture of me walking through the same passage Ben Franklin walked through to get to and from his home. Let’s just say I was slightly more enthused about this than my friends! I like the idea of walking where other awesome people have walked. =)


We went to Christ Church (if you don’t know what that is, here is the website.). We were all pretty tired at that point, but we were trying hard to stay focused. I maybe kinda fell asleep…




Benjamin Franklin’s grave is at the burial grounds at Christ Church.



Ooo… Elfreth’s Alley was also pretty cool. Lots of little houses were crammed in there. It reminded me very much of the U.K.. We were lucky enough to be there just when the 2nd Annual Philadelphia Tweed Ride came through. It was fantastic! Also, I saw a window-box with peppers in it instead of flowers, which I loved.





We saw The Hulk on the street and then got some yummy desserts at the tiniest little walk-up bakery EVER!



Then we got back in the cars and drove over to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which is home to the steps from “Rocky”. We took some pictures at the statue in the middle of the roundabout, which was an interesting statue. Then we got pictures with the Rocky statue, us running up the stairs and our feet by his feet.





After that we headed over to Geno’s to finish the day right with some Philly Cheesesteak. I have to say that I was kind of scared, having had a bad cheesesteak experience in my childhood, but I liked it. Plus, I got a free pen for “having to buy my own sandwich.” Apparently a girl like me should have had a date to buy one for her on a Saturday night. Go figure. =)



All in all, it was a great day! Thanks to Merry for supplying most of the picture, and to Myles for driving when I was too tired. Thanks to Teresa for finding me a bathroom on the way there =), and to Adam, Merry and Sarah for supplying my car with *ahem* such awesome music...

4 comments:

  1. hahahah! I like your posts: informative and hilarious at the same time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little jealous! I would love to hear a live performance on the armonica, and to see all those awesome places!

    I'm glad you had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aahhhhhh, twas our pleasure my dear, to make sure you had a sufficient supply of the best music life has to offer!!! what a fun day, and you did such a great recap here. i think i'm inspired to finally do my own philly post. can i just copy/paste yours to my blog?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I really need to keep up on blogs more often, I didn't know you posted about our Philly Trip O' Awesomeness! And like SarahJ said, it was defly our pleasure to make sure you had quality uplifting and un-annoying music on the long car ride up.... haha sorry, we just couldn't resist! =D

    ReplyDelete